Revolutionary Spaces connects people to the history and continuing practice of democracy through the interwoven stories of Boston’s Old State House and Old South Meeting House.
- There are currently no upcoming events posted. Please check back soon.
On Washington Street
- AMERICA’S BICENTENNIALOn October 17, 1976, to mark the bicentennial, the Boston Equal Rights League and the City of Boston held a ceremony in honor of Crispus Attucks, whom many considered an African American patriot and the first martyr of the American Revolution.Read more →
- PATRIOT OR FOOL? CRISPUS ATTUCKS AND THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENTAs civil rights leaders argued for basic freedoms for African Americans as American citizens, Crispus Attucks became a symbol of the continuous contribution of blacks to the nation. Many viewed his actions on that fateful day in March 1770 as a demonstration of the deep patriotism of blacks since the founding of this country, patriotism ...Read more →
- ANTHONY BURNS AND THE FUGITIVE SLAVE ACTThe Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 was a contested law that gave Southern slaveholders the power to intrude in Northern cities and take alleged fugitive slaves back to captivity. Animated by the hotbed of abolitionism taking hold in the city, Boston activists worked to maintain the freedom of fugitive slaves and even fought violently to ...Read more →
- REINVENTING CRISPUS ATTUCKS FOR THE ABOLITIONIST MOVEMENTMost Americans today recognize the Paul Revere print of the Boston Massacre. Thanks to every high school U.S. history textbook, Revere’s print is the image that comes to our minds when we think of the “Bloody Massacre” on March 5, 1770. But when we look at the famous print today, we realize that someone is ...Read more →
- Replicating John Hancock’s ClothingThis post was originally published on the Bostonian Society’s On King Street blog in 2017, written by Sira Dooley Fairchild, former Collections Manager In order to preserve John Hancock’s clothing, we are currently in the process of having replicas made. These replicas will allow us to return the originals to dark storage and therefore preserve them ...Read more →