Revolutionary Spaces connects people to the history and continuing practice of democracy through the interwoven stories of Boston’s Old State House and Old South Meeting House.
On Washington Street
- Video | Site See: The Flipsides of the Old State House and Old South Meeting HouseRevisiting moments of 18th-century protest, debate, and rebellion at the Old South Meeting House and Old State House.Read more →
- How to Care for Your Home LibraryBy Nicole McAllister, Special Collections Librarian We have them all over our homes, we probably don’t think too much about them, and they are there when we need them – it’s our books! Books are a great resource for reference, self-improvement, and a fun escape. And there’s no better time to think about how to ...Read more →
- Conserving the Memory of Crispus AttucksBy Jill Conley, Registrar & Collections Manager; and Nicole McAllister, Special Collections Librarian On March 6, 1770, the day after the Boston Massacre, the coroner filed an autopsy report for Crispus Attucks, a formerly enslaved man of African and Native descent who was the first to die at the “Incident on King Street.” In the autopsy ...Read more →
- 18th Century vs. TodayMargaret Kemble Gage & Meghan Markle During the Revolution, many Colonists found their loyalties tested due to the strain between being legally and socially British citizens yet also being American colonists. This tension was felt across all social classes, and one example is the complicated position wherein Margaret Kemble Gage found herself. Born to a wealthy ...Read more →
- Transforming Rep HallAt the end of 2019, as we geared up to change exhibits in Representatives Hall in the Old State House, we noticed a fair amount of cosmetic updates that needed to be made. We thought we were in for some paint touch-ups, minor plaster work, and a good cleaning. Once our preservation team took a ...Read more →
- #StandWithMashpeeRevolutionary Spaces Stands With Mashpee On behalf of Revolutionary Spaces, we hereby express our organization’s undivided support for the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe in their struggle to preserve in federal trust the ancestral lands of the Mashpee people. Revolutionary Spaces cares for Boston’s Old State House and Old South Meeting House and is dedicated to bringing people together ...Read more →