A Fall Update from Revolutionary Spaces
Since August 1, Revolutionary Spaces has been delighted to welcome visitors to the Old State House and Old South Meeting House under strict social distancing guidelines and capacity limitations. As we enter the colder months, Revolutionary Spaces will be closed for walk-up hours beginning Nov. 1. Private bookings are available for groups of 1-8. All Revolutionary Spaces/RevolutionaryBoston gift shops will also remain closed.
Revolutionary Spaces connects people to the history and continuing practice of democracy through the interwoven stories of Boston’s Old State House and Old South Meeting House.
- There are currently no upcoming events posted. Please check back soon.
On Washington Street
- Conserving the Memory of Crispus AttucksBy Jill Conley, Registrar & Collections Manager; and Nicole McAllister, Special Collections Librarian On March 6, 1770, the day after the Boston Massacre, the coroner filed an autopsy report for Crispus Attucks, a formerly enslaved man of African and Native descent who was the first to die at the “Incident on King Street.” In the autopsy ...Read more →
- 18th Century vs. TodayMargaret Kemble Gage & Meghan Markle During the Revolution, many Colonists found their loyalties tested due to the strain between being legally and socially British citizens yet also being American colonists. This tension was felt across all social classes, and one example is the complicated position wherein Margaret Kemble Gage found herself. Born to a wealthy ...Read more →
- Transforming Rep HallAt the end of 2019, as we geared up to change exhibits in Representatives Hall in the Old State House, we noticed a fair amount of cosmetic updates that needed to be made. We thought we were in for some paint touch-ups, minor plaster work, and a good cleaning. Once our preservation team took a ...Read more →
- #StandWithMashpeeRevolutionary Spaces Stands With Mashpee On behalf of Revolutionary Spaces, we hereby express our organization’s undivided support for the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe in their struggle to preserve in federal trust the ancestral lands of the Mashpee people. Revolutionary Spaces cares for Boston’s Old State House and Old South Meeting House and is dedicated to bringing people together ...Read more →
- Get to Know Our Preservation TeamMay is Preservation Month! Even in these times of physical distancing, our preservation team often visits the Old State House and Old South Meeting House to ensure proper care of our historic sites. Along the way, they always stick to physical distancing guidelines, working more than 6’ away from others, and wearing masks anytime they ...Read more →
- Poetry in the Time of CoronaRecently, a small group of us gathered to hear Charles Coe perform poetry, exploring memory, life, and loss. Watch as Charles reads two of his original poems, “Love in the Time of Corona” and “Something in the Wind.” LOVE IN THE TIME OF CORONA (with apologies to Gabriel García Márquez) by Charles Coe In ancient Greece, men shook hands as ...Read more →