Recorded January 13, 2021
The Transfer of Presidential Power Between Factions
As America marches toward the inauguration of its 46th president in what often feels like unprecedented times, many Americans worry about the state of the republic and its ability to weather the storm of a transfer of power between a new administration and one that has, at times, questioned the validity of their loss and even of the election system as a whole.
While there are unique elements of the Trump/Biden transition, America has faced a variety of complex political transitions in its history, where one party or faction–rightly or wrongly–disputes the results of an election or makes the beginning of their successor’s tenure rockier than usual.
Join Revolutionary Spaces in a lively panel discussion with leading historians on complicated presidential transitions from Adams and Jefferson to Carter and Reagan, and explore some of the most tenuous moments in executive power in our nation’s history.
- Joseph Ellis, Ford Foundation Chair of History (retired) at Mount Holyoke College and Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award-winning author of Founding Brothers, Passionate Sage and American Sphinx.
- Eric Rauchway, Distinguished Professor of History at University of California, Davis and author of Winter War: Hoover, Roosevelt, and the First Clash Over the New Deal
- Amber Roessner, Associate Professor of Journalism at University of Tennessee-Knoxville and author of Jimmy Carter and the Birth of the Marathon Media Campaign
- David Greenberg, Professor of History and of Journalism & Media Studies at Rutgers University, and author of Republic of Spin: An Inside History of the American Presidency
- Moderated by Matthew Wilding, Director of Visitor Experience & Content Development at Revolutionary Spaces
This event is generously sponsored by the Lowell Institute.
More Past Events
- VIDEO | Tea Party Tonight! Episode 4For our fourth episode, host Rob Crean is going forth to conquer… Philadelphia’s Carpenters’ Hall!Read more →
- VIDEO | Tea Party Tonight! Episode 3VIDEO: The third episode of our late-night comedy/history talkshow, with host Rob Crean!Read more →
- Age of Phillis on FilmJUNE 15: A panel featuring the producer and director of the new short film series Imagining the Age of Phillis, as well as poet Honorée Fanonne Jeffers, on whose poems the films are based.Read more →
- VIDEO | Interpreting the Past Through ComicsA discussion with creators who have used comics and graphic novels to tell complicated and personal histories spanning from World War II to the near-past.Read more →
- A New Space for Our IdealsVIDEO: A discussion about the role Revolutionary-Era sites play as monuments in our society, and how they can lead to conversation about our national values.Read more →
- VIDEO | Tea Party Tonight! Episode 2EP 2: Host Rob Crean returns with guests Tory Bullock, Jacqueline Beatty, a short film by Tawanda Gona, games including Monumental Accessories, The Statue-lor, Boston Versus, a recipe for grog, and more!Read more →